Sunday, November 18, 2012

Patty's big day out

What a spectacular day! While Buzz was enjoying a weekend in Chicago for a Biblical literature convention (wild times!) I decided to have an adventure. I began by driving up West 7th Street in St. Paul, parking a mile away from the Excel Energy Center and taking a walk on this beautiful, unseasonably warm day. On the way, I passed numerous antique shops housed in original brick buildings from the 1800s. Then there were the Irish pubs and Italian eateries, including Buzz's revered Cosetta's, and several sports-themed bars just pining for hockey and an end to the strike.
The blue hammer is about 3 feet long!
There was a hardware store that boasted 150 types of hammers, a tattoo parlor called Holy Mackerel Tattoo and Piercing, and the Maharaja hookah bar. Anyway, I made it past all this ridiculous and ended up in the sublime Science Museum of Minnesota where I watched "Tornado Alley" in the Omni theater. If you know me, you know I'm fascinated by tornadoes. I hope to see one someday, and yet I know that if I do, I'll die of fright. Well, this film was the next best thing to being there. I had to close my eyes a couple of times as the twisters came right at me. Go see it. It's playing until June 20. Click the link for a sneak peek. http://www.smm.org/tornado
The museum is on the bank of the Mississippi River
On the way home, I stopped for an order of Quatro al Forno at Buca di Beppo and took it home for lunch. Later, I took a good book to the French Meadow Bakery and ordered a rich and very pretty latte. It was a good day.
Ahhhhhh

No comments: