Rhubarb has a split personality. I was shocked to learn that it is considered to be a VEGETABLE! And yet it pretends to be a fruit. You will always find it in pies, cakes, sauces, etc., but you will never find it in a vegetable stir fry. Rhubarb is breathtakingly sour. After eating it, your teeth feel like the enamel has been removed, but actually your palate has been cleansed by the high acidity of this . . . um . . . vegetable. And it's a real cowboy in your digestive tract.
Rhubarb originated in ancient China, and the root of the plant was identified as having medicinal qualities. Only the stalks should be eaten--the giant green leaves of the plant are poisonous. So . . . this innocent looking plant is a vegetable disguised as a fruit, and it can either kill you or cure you. Muffin?
4 comments:
The reason rhubarb is so often shared is that most reasonable folks, after that first taste of the year, remember how truly puckeratious the stuff is, and quickly try to pawn it off on innocent neighbors.
Too funny! I always think I like Rhubarb, but once every spring is enough...I did make Rhubarb cherry jam, and the sweetness of the cherry pie filling masks the puckeratiousness :-)
mmmm. Now I want pie.
mmmm. Now I want pie.
Post a Comment