Tuesday, November 11, 2014

National Bundt Cake Day


Did you know that November 15 is National Bundt Cake Day?  The Bundt cake has a rich history. The shape of it comes from an old European cake called Gugelhupf, or--in some parts of Europe--Bundkuchen.  The true meaning of bund is debatable, but kuchen means cake. The Nordic Ware Company added a "t" to bund to create their own trademarked name.  The Bundt cake pan was born in 1950 in St. Louis Park, Minnesota. When the pan turned 60 years old, Nordic Ware declared that November 15 would thereafter be National Bundt Cake Day. I baked one for the occasion and because I love chocolate cake with white chocolate frosting. The holiday is Saturday, but I don't think there will be any left by then.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that the bundt cake pan was a Minnesota invention! Leave it to the Minnesotans to make a new and improved way to make cake!

Sherry said...

What a great informational post! I love the bundt cake scene in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". Check it out if you haven't seen it :-)

Buzz and Patty said...

Sherry-- I love the bundt cake scene in the movie. "It's a kek . . . with a hole in it." Then they put flowers in the hole. Love that movie!