Saturday, July 31, 2010

Fresh Salsa

We planted a salsa garden in mid-May (see May 16 blog entry), and now we are starting to see the fruits of our labor. There was the perfect amount of rain and sunshine this year. We had to use the garden sprinkler only two times. So a small investment in miniature plants is yielding baskets of red tomatoes, pear tomatoes, onions, jalapeƱo and serano peppers. My English students always share in the bounty. In August we will have our last English class of the summer and a harvest party. And we will eat lots of fresh salsa!!!

There's nothing like the taste and smell of a tomato just picked from the plant. This year's tomatoes have a lot of "character." Many of them have extra lobes that look like ears or noses. If you recall an actor/singer by the name of Jimmy Durante, imagine his schnoz (nose) on a tomato! Ha cha cha cha.   

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Wow, what a beautiful platter of salsa! I love the colors together.
Makes me want to eat some salsa right now...

Unknown said...

I'm drooooooling. Think I'll make myself some tonight too!