Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day!  It's not a holiday created by Hallmark. It actually dates back to the 1850s when a mother of 11 children, Anna Reeves Jarvis, experienced firsthand the toll that disease and poor sanitation takes on newborns; only 4 of her children survived. Anna organized Mother's Day clubs in her community for the purpose of educating the public on the importance of sanitation. One of Anna's surviving daughters campaigned to make a national mother's day holiday, and in May of 1908 President Woodrow Wilson declared the second Sunday in May Mother's Day. No matter where you live, you probably have a special day dedicated to mothers, though the date may be different.

I had a great mom, I am a lucky mom, and my daughter is a new mom. There's nothing like a new baby in the family to make you feel all warm and squishy inside. I hope you will enjoy this sweet song by Tom T. Hall. Today it is dedicated to MOTHERS.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

You are so right, a new baby in the fam just melts the heart! We are blessed indeed..Thanks for the info reg. Mother's Day, I never knew that.

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence -I have an awesome Mom, had a wonderful Grandmother (and still have a wonderful Grandmother on the other side of the family) and enjoyed my first Mother's Day this week. :)