Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Spring Tulips

I'm a little like a squirrel who forgets where it buried its treasure. I'm surprised every spring when the tulips pop up. Our tulips come up in March, and usually they get a coating of snow before they bloom. Since March was dry, they have had the freedom to grow and bloom early. The rabbits in the area present an even bigger danger to tulips than the weather does. Usually the rabbits chew the blooms off just before they are about to open. And now it's as if this yearly destruction has changed our tulip plants on a molecular level--they produce only leaves, no blooms. This spring we have three brave blooms. That's why you need friends. My friend Sherry gave us this beautiful bouquet of tulips that grew in her yard which apparently is in a no-bunny zone. I find that tulips in captivity last a little longer than earth-bound tulips.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

This year my tulips have been shouting in red and yellow, Spring is here! Spring is here!

Steve Furlong said...

Hello Buzz and Patty,
I would like to use one of your photos in a publication (specifically the Bloomington City Hall photo). Could you please email me permission:
stevefurlong@ymail.com

Thank you!